The inner city bus transportation is constructed in a very user-friendly way: there are 25 bus lines in Tartu, the routes having a total length of 491 kilometres, thereby covering the whole city with the bus network. The city of Tartu has already invested in the modernisation and development of the public transportation service for years, and thanks to that, a good quality and environmentally friendly service can be provided.
The bus stops are modern and passengers have access to real-time information on the web and by phone, the timetables are also available in paper form at the bus stops and in various information brochures. Departures are quite frequent in the more important connecting points of the city, the buses are good-looking, clean and low-floor, which makes using public transportation convenient with a baby carriage as well as a wheelchair. In 2011, Estonia`s first five environmentally friendly compressed-gas buses started operating in Tartu. Increasing the share of environmentally friendly solutions has been set as a firm development goal. For instance, by the year 2019, only environmentally friendly gas buses will service Tartu city lines. Townspeople highly appreciate these aspects, and when planning the proposal for the new bus network, the aim is to increase the quality of today`s service even more, while at the same time integrating the public bicycle project into the public transportation system in the future.
To ride city line buses, a ticket can be bought from the driver or an electronic bus card can be used. Tickets bought from the bus driver can only be paid for in cash. Electronic bus cards (contact-free plastic chip cards and stickers) can be bought from R-Kiosk convenience stores, the bus station, Tartu Visitor Centre in Town Hall, information counters in Selver supermarkets and elsewhere. To use an electronic bus card, it has to be swiped when entering the bus at the device or validator installed near the bus doors until a beep sound is heard.
Prices and discounts:
- Single ticket 0.83 €
- Single concession ticket for pupils and university students 0.51 €
- Single ticket bought from the driver 1.50 €
- 1-hour ticket 0.96 € (To acquire a 1-hour ticket, the balance on the card has to be at least the amount of two single tickets. The system will register a 1-hour ticket, and return the excess amount back to the card.)
- 1-day ticket 2.11 € (To acquire a 1-day ticket, the balance on the card has to be at least 2.75 €. The system will register a 1-day ticket, and return the excess amount at the end of the day.)
- 10-day ticket 7.03 €
- 10-day concession ticket 3.52 €
- 30-day ticket 15.34 €
- 30-day concession ticket for pupils and severely disabled individuals 5.11 €
- 30-day concession ticket for university students and Estonian pensioners 7.67 €
- 90-day ticket 35.15 €