A professional guide is a dignified and loyal representative of both Estonia and Tartu who respects all visitors, thus shaping the good image of their city and promoting the reputation of Estonia as a tourist destination. In order to ensure a high quality tour guide service, the city of Tartu has developed a procedure for the attestation of guides.
Attestation takes place in October, with more precise dates published on the Visit Tartu website at least a month before the attestation takes place. Primary attestation takes place every other year, re-attestation every year. Primary attestation consists of a written test and a practical exam in the form of a city tour (walking as well as bus tour). Only those who have successfully passed the written test can proceed to the practical part. To pass the re-attestation, only a practical walking tour has to be successfully completed.
Those who successfully pass the tour guide exam are issued a guide certificate that is valid for up to 5 years.
The attestation is organised by the city of Tartu and the Tartu County Tourism Foundation, in cooperation with organisations uniting guides. The attestation committee is composed of representatives of the Tartu County Tourism Foundation, Tartu City Government, University of Tartu, Estonian Travel and Tourism Association, Tartu Tourist Guides Association and Estonian Senior Guides Association.
The attestation is fee-based. The amount of the fee is determined by the Tartu County Tourism Foundation with a decree.
The schedule for attestation in 2019 is as follows:
- September 18 at 3.30 p.m. – consultation for those who wish to take part in thematic tour attestation. The consultation takes place at Jaani 7 (in the Public Relations Department of Tartu City Government).
- September 27 – deadline to register for attestation. Those who register for thematic tour attestation must also send the written draft of the planned tour with their registration.
- October 14 – consultation. The exact time and place will be sent out after the registration has ended, the estimated beginning will be at 4.30 p.m.
- October 21-24 – written test for thematic tour attestation and practical exams for re-attestation (walking tour) and thematic tour attestation (walking tour). Exact schedule for the exams will be sent out after the registration has ended and when it has been determined how many participants there will be for the different attestations.
Fees for 2019:
- Re-attestation 20 €
- Thematic tour attestation 20 €
Bank account number of the Tartu County Tourism Foundation is: EE242200221012304942
For further information, please contact Pilvi Käiro at pilvi.kairo [at] visittartu.com