In addition to a general guide attestation, it is also possible to apply for a thematic tour guide attestation. An attested thematic tour is recognised by the city and has passed quality control.
The attestation of a thematic tour consists of three parts – a written draft of the planned guided tour, a written mini-test to assess general knowledge of Tartu and a practical exam in the form of a walking tour. The guides whose written draft has been approved by the attestation committee and who passed the written test advance to the practical exam. Those who have successfully passed the exam are issued a certificate, which is valid for a period of 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate. When the attestation expires, the guide has to renew the attestation of the tour.
The attestation is organised by the city of Tartu and the Tartu County Tourism Foundation in cooperation with organisations uniting guides. The attestation committee is composed of representatives of the Tartu County Tourism Foundation and the city of Tartu as well as specialists of at least two fields, depending on the tours being attested.
The attestation of thematic tours is fee-based. The amount of the fee is determined by the Tartu County Tourism Foundation with a decree.
The schedule for attestation in 2019 is as follows:
- September 18 at 3.30 p.m. – consultation for those who wish to take part in thematic tour attestation. The consultation takes place at Jaani 7 (in the Public Relations Department of Tartu City Government).
- September 27 – deadline to register for attestation. Those who register for thematic tour attestation must also send the written draft of the planned tour with their registration.
- October 14 – consultation. The exact time and place will be sent out after the registration has ended, the estimated beginning will be at 4.30 p.m.
- October 21-24 – written test for thematic tour attestation and practical exams for re-attestation (walking tour) and thematic tour attestation (walking tour). Exact schedule for the exams will be sent out after the registration has ended and when it has been determined how many participants there will be for the different attestations.
Fees for 2019:
- Re-attestation 20 €
- Thematic tour attestation 20 €
Bank account number of the Tartu County Tourism Foundation is: EE242200221012304942
For further information, please contact Pilvi Käiro at pilvi.kairo [at] visittartu.com